Best Lawn Mower Under 200 Dollars: My Recommendations & Buying Guide
Mowing your lawn requires a special, though plain tool, and I intend to show you some of the best models you can get for the sum of 200 bucks. These lawn mowers might, or might not appear cheap, but they’re more than valuable for the cash.
Generally, you’ll want the job to be done in a quick, faultless fashion, but not every lawn mower model can grant you that. Some are heavy, others lightweight, certain models have sharper blades, thus they’re capable of cutting faster – finding a good, balanced lawn mower might not be as easy as it appears.
Rest assured, though, once we’ve done with reviews, it will all fall into place nicely and neatly. You’ll be able to pick out the best model according to your needs, but for those who’re out of ideas where to search, let’s compare our top 5 picks:
Best lawn mowers under 200 bucks comparison
|Name||Easy to use?||Performance||Price|
|Greenworks||Wide wheels, versatile options, and a powerful motor allow for an easy ride||Strong, fast and reliable. This lawn mower boasts high level of performance|
|WORX||Lightweight construction, versatile functions, battery power-level indicators, push-button method of operation||One of the fastest electric lawn mowers out there. The 3-in-1 cutting options substantially boost the overall efficiency|
|American||Fairly easy to use, manual electric lawn mower||Long cutting blades and adjustable cutting weight. Decent performance, although not the best of the best|
|Scotts||Supremely easy to use||A beautiful, highly efficient manual lawn mower which comes with four wheels and 5 heat-treated blades. High efficiency|
|Sun Joe||Push-button functions, LED power indicator, removable safety key, ETL approved. Supremely easy to use||Great features, high performance. Overall, it’s great for the money|
Best lawn mower under 200 dollars reviews
Lawn mowers are just some of the necessities you’ll need to have around, regardless of the season. There are numerous differences between good and the best lawn mowers under 200 bucks, some of which I intend to show you.
Keep in mind that “reliability” of your lawn mower is the most important factor you need to have in consideration. Manual models, as well as electric ones, can easily break down on you in the middle of the process, and the only thing worse than a badly-cut lawn is the one that’s halfway done.
On the other hand, the price range which spans up to $200 is pretty large – there are models which barely cost 10 bucks, whereas certain top-shelf mowers cost just beyond the limit.
For detailed information about what the best lawn mower under 200 dollars should have (and shouldn’t have), consult the “Buying guide” section. Meanwhile, let’s take a look at some of the finest models within the price range:
The first lawn mower in our review comes from Greenworks. This model is an electric lawn mower, which is preferred by many for its more conventional and practical purposes. It features a 12-amp motor – it’s pretty strong, and you’ll be able to cut through thick grass as it was made of butter.
It also features a deck of premium-quality 20” blades. Greenworks land mower is remarkably easy to use, and I’d say it’s one of my personal favorites when it comes to speed. It features a convenient 3-in-1 mode which allows you to specify the method of operation in full detail.
There’s a total of seven positions you can choose between concerning the height adjustment, but the best thing about this lawn mower is that it works magnificent on virtually every grass type, regardless of thickness and length.
The rear wheels are about 10 inches in diameter while the front ones are about 7 – they’re neither too small or too big, which further proves that this lawn mower is fairly easy to use.
There only thing I didn’t like about it is the weight, actually. It weighs approximately 56 pounds, and, even though it’s not too heavy or anything, this amount of weight made me sweat a bit after several lines were trimmed.
On the other hand, the maintenance process isn’t as easy. Namely, this lawn mower isn’t sealed, so the motor tends to get a bit dirty once you use it. The screws hold it tightly, so you might want to consider replacing them with quick-release pins for easier cleanup.
Overall, this lawn mower is quite great for the cash – it’s not too expensive, it’s decently fast, and, most importantly, it’s very reliable. Surely enough, it gets a bit messy after a while, and it’s a bit heavier than standard models, but these are minor flaws that can’t compare to the benefits that come along the way.
What we liked
- Decently fast – just like most electric lawn mowers, Greenworks amp-corded lawn mower is very fast.
- Very versatile – ideal for virtually any kind of grass, regardless of thickness or length.
- Powerful – this lawn mower is a powerhouse grass cutter, and you can rest assured that it won’t fail you when you need it.
- Fairly easy to use – there are plenty of convenient features onboard that significantly reduce the effort you have to put in to mow your lawn.
What we didn’t like
- Weighs a bit above average – with 56 pounds of weight, this lawn mower isn’t exactly heavyweight, but it’s still decently heavy and bulky.
- The motor isn’t sealed – you’ll have to invest extra time in cleaning the motor unless you replace the screws with quick-release pins.
Worx” WG775 lawn mower is a true beauty, and that’s an understatement. It comes with a set of exceptionally small wheels and a lightweight construction, making it one of the easiest lawn mowers to use in this review.
A single motor’s charge is capable of cutting up approximately 6000 square-feet of grass, which is pretty awesome. Needless to say, it could be used for smaller lawns, as well as medium-sized ones, but its forte is cleaning up large lawns.
Another magnificent feature which significantly reduces the effort you’ll need to invest is the grass collecting bag found at the rear of the construction – it mulches the grass, discharges it, and collects it for safe disposal afterward.
Most people dislike electric mowers due to the inconvenient cords they often come outfitted with, but Worx” WG775 lawn mower doesn’t have one – it’s completely pull-cord-free. Personally, I find this feature (or the lack of it) as one of the most useful ones, as prancing about and pulling cords is one of the most bothersome things for me.
What’s more, there’s a battery power-level indicator which lets you know when the motor’s running out of juice. Again, I want to accentuate the fact that this lawn mower was built for convenience above all.
The only bad thing about it is that the wheels are a bit too small. Note that small wheels are usually helpful, but tiny ones tend to make the mower roll over more easily.
In conclusion, this lawn mower is absolutely great. Despite the small wheels, its power amazes me, it’s absolutely perfect for all kinds of lawns, and it’s remarkably easy to use it. This just might be the best lawn mower under 200 bucks.
What we liked
- Great for large lawns – Worx’ lawn mower is capable of cutting up to 6000 square feet with ease, making it ideal for large lawns.
- Lightweight construction – this lawn mower weighs only 33 pounds.
- Convenient features – Worx’ lawn mower comes outfitted with 3-in-1 feature, allowing it to mulch the grass, discharge it from the rear, and collect it in a safe-disposal bag.
- Push-button start – you don’t have to trouble yourself with inconvenient cables.
What we didn’t like
- Extremely small wheels – this lawn mower tends to roll over more easily than most.
The 1815 lawn mower was made by American Lawn Mower Company – these guys have a pretty self-explanatory name, and you can rest assured that they offer nothing short of quality. The model we’re looking at is a manual lawn mower which comes outfitted with 5 18” blades, but you can choose between 14” 4-blade, 14” 5-blade, and 16” 5-blade variations to better suit your needs.
Personally, I’m not a big fan of manual lawn mowers, as they tend to require extra strength and effort to get the job done, but this one piqued my curiosity. It’s remarkably easy to use it (despite its nature), and it cuts through all sorts and heights of grass with ease.
The 18” blades are supremely sharp – they’re the longest when compared to other variations, and they ensure the lowest mowing time possible. Now, the blades are made of tempered alloy steel, making them not only sharp, but extremely durable as well.
Last, but not least, the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty in case anything goes awry. Simply put, everything about this lawn mower is great, apart from the fact that it might prove to be less effective on thickest of grasses. This little flaw is easily compensated for through the plethora of qualities it offers though.
Even though we’re reviewing entry-level lawn mowers alone, this one’s a bit more affordable than the rest, even by budget-level standards. Overall, I’d buy it again even if I didn’t try it out, as it reinvented manual lawn mowers – it’s surprisingly easy to use, it’s more than reliable, and it features a highly durable construction.
What we liked
- Exceptionally easy to use – most lawn mowers require much effort to use, which is not the case with American Lawn Mower 1815.
- Very durable – the tempered-steel alloy blades are supremely sharp and exceptionally durable.
- Choose your blades – there are four blade variations at your disposal, including the 14” 4-blade, 14” 5-blade, 16” 5-blade, and 18” 5-blade variations.
- Ideal for small and medium-sized lawns – if you’re an owner of a small or medium-size lawn, you won’t have any trouble mowing it with this model.
- Remarkably affordable – this lawn mower is very cheap, even when compared to similar models within the same price range.
- Superb value for the buck – all things considered, this is one of the best lawn mowers under 200 bucks.
What we didn’t like
- Won’t work so well on large lawns – you’ll spend a lot of time mowing a large size lawn with this lawn mower, consider going with an electrical model in that case.
Scotts’ 2000 lawn mower is a classic, old-school manual lawn mower. It features five heat-treated blades made of premium-quality steel, and you don’t need to waste a lot of energy to use it due to its conventional design.
First of all, this lawn mower comes outfitted with two sets of wheels. The first (larger) set features 20” reel mowers while the second one comes outfitted with a set of 10” dual-tracking wheels. These features make this lawn mower one of the most reliable and stable models out there.
There’s a quick-snap height adjustment control button which will allow you to choose between nine grass-cutting heights – it’s safe to say that this lawn mower is exceptionally versatile.
Overall, this lawn mower does wonders for the cash. The only bad thing about it is that it costs approximately the same as an electric lawn mower, but it’s absolutely ideal for people who prefer manual ones over electric models.
What we liked
- Very easy to use – this is a manual lawn mower that comes outfitted with a set of specifically designed features which make it very easy to use.
- Two sets of wheels – these wheels provide additional stability while making grass-cutting options more versatile.
- Outstanding features – you’ll get a premium-quality lawn mower, an easy-carry handle, and a set of composite wheels with the package.
- Assurance of quality –the manufacturer offers two years of warranty in case things take a turn for the worse.
What we didn’t like
- Not so great for large lawns – the only reason why this lawn mower isn’t good for large lawns is because you’ll have to invest extra time and effort (as it’s a manual lawn mower).
The last model in best lawn mower under 200 bucks review is the MJ401C from Sun Joe. Generally, it’s one of the best electric lawn mowers I’ve come across, and I’m all too happy to back up this bold statement.
First of all, this lawn mower comes with a balanced set of wheels, both rear and front. The stability of this model is not an issue, but neither is durability – the materials which comprise the structure of this lawn mower are extremely durable and, best of all, quite versatile if I might add.
There’s a push-button LED indicator which will notify you about the power level while the safety key removes the risk of accidental starts. The peak performance of this lawn mower is estimated at 28V – it’s supremely powerful, and it doesn’t charge for too long.
The only bad thing is that the bag tends to fill up rather quickly. Anyhow, this isn’t a real drawback, let alone dealbreaker. All things considered, I’d give this lawn mower a superb rating.
What we liked
- Very powerful – the estimated peak performance of this lawn mower is 28V.
- Ideal for small and mid-sized lawns – you could possibly use it for larger lawns, but be mindful that the bag tends to fill up too quickly.
- Long battery lifetime – a single charge will easily meet your need of trimming or mowing a medium-sized lawn.
- Awesome value for the cash – the benefits of this lawn mower greatly outshine the potential flaws.
What we didn’t like
- The bag tends to fill up rather quickly – this is more of a nuisance, rather than an actual flaw.
Things to consider before purchasing a lawn mower
There are only a couple of things you should consider when you’re purchasing an entry-level lawn mower.
First of all, you need “performance”. Certain lawn mowers are better and more efficient at mowing your lawn than others, and, personally, I recommend going with electric ones as they tend to boast higher levels of versatility and reliability.
Secondly, all of these models are “cheap”. You shouldn’t break your head about the price too much, but know that there are models that are much cheaper than the ones I’ve reviewed.
On the other hand, you’ll need a “durable” lawn mower. These models are usually made of firm, sturdy metal and steel alloys, and they’re capable of withstanding quite a punishment.
Last, but not least – mind the versatility. Certain lawn mowers are only good for the smallest of lawns, but that’s not a strict rule – certain mowers can easily excel in performance (consult the chart above).
Finding the best lawn mower under 200 dollars is not as easy as you’d assume, that’s pretty safe say. The models I’ve reviewed are durable, reliable, and excel in multiple fields of performance, so it’s safe to assume that you’d be safe whichever way you go.
As a final word, let me give you a piece of advice – even though lawn mowers appear too simple, they’re actually complex tools. Choosing between a manual and an electric lawn mower might make a big difference, but choosing between a good model and some of the best is way more important. Remember, these tools will stick around for years, so paying extra might benefit you more. Consider the models I’ve reviewed if you’re not familiar with these grass-cutting tools.